Rails 3 is coming! The first beta release of the new version is right around the corner and it should be released today or tomorrow... the release notes are already in the master branch.
For me this feels like the release of Rails 1.0 and I'm so excited about all the new changes and the great new features.
Rails 3 is a lot about changing your mindset to make use of the all new features and concepts.
I've collected some reading material for you about Rails 3 and the upcoming changes. Since the final Rails 3 is not yet released excpect some of the stuff that's mentioned to be changed or already have changed in the beta. But this is a good start to catch up with all the Rails awesomeness:
Actually all of these links are "must-reads" but for those of you with little time. Read at least these:
- official Rails 3 relase notes
- Live Coding Rails 3 upgrade a free peepcode
- Exploring Rails 3 - A Free Two Hour Online Conference
- The Path to Rails 3 - Intorduction - A very awesome introduction to the big picture of Rails 3. read it!
- Rails and Merb Merge: Rails Core (Part 4 of 6)
- Rails 3 Upgrade plugin - checks your code and gives you hints to make it Rails 3 compatible (first announcment)
- Greenfielding new apps with the Rails 3 beta
ActiveRecord / ActiveModel
- Active Record Query Interface 3.0
- Rails 3.0’s ActiveModel: How To Give Ruby Classes Some ActiveRecord Magic
- ActiveModel: Make Any Ruby Object Feel Like ActiveRecord
- Arel source code and readme
- Why Arel
- validates :rails_3, :awesome => true great post about the new validations in Rails 3
- Render options in Rails 3
- Three reasons to love ActionController::Responder
- Default RESTful Rendering
- Cleaner RESTful Controllers w/ respond_with
- The CodeRack Contest
- 21 Rack Middlewares To Turbocharge Your Ruby Webapps
- Rails on Rack(not Rails 3 specific)
Gem, Plugins, Dependencies
- Bundler 0.9 - heading towards 1.0
- Bundler is the new hotness: deploying rails apps with bundler and capistrano
- Is your plugin ready for Rails 3?
- Making generators for Rails 3 with Thor
- Customizing generators in Rails 3
- Discovering Rails 3 generators
Other great reading
- Rails now seems to act like a grown up
- Build Sinatra on Rails 3
- My five favorite things about Rails 3
- Better Ruby idioms- read this for plugin development
- Rails 3 ready plugins
- Rails 3 and Passenger
- Extending Rails 3 Talk by @wycats at pivotallabs
- Mail gem Version 2 Rails 3 is now using the new mail gem. This is a great writeup about new features in version 2
I'll update this list with upcoming Rails 3 resources.
1. Added link to I18n changes (thanks @ Carlos)